WATCH: The Power of a Mother's Love for Her Trans Daughter
BY Parker Marie Molloy
May 11 2014 7:18 AM ET
The Transgender Law Center presents the heartwarming story of Zoe and Ofelia, a transgender teen and her accepting mother. As part of TLC's "My Authentic Life" series of videos, this story highlights how transgender children can benefit from their parents' acceptance.
Zoe was only 2 years old when she first realized that she was a girl. She was harassed by teachers and other students, but her mother's acceptance remained steadfast. With the passage of California's School Success and Opportunity Act, Zoe feels much more confident in school, and she no longer faces pushback from teachers when it comes to using the restroom.
"I think she's awesome, and I'm her biggest supporter," Ofelia lovingly says about her daughter in the video.
"My mom is so brave, and she's always there for me," Zoe says. "I love her so much, and she's just one of my biggest inspirations."
Trans children who have supportive parents are significantly less likely to attempt suicide, much less likely to wind up homeless, and less likely to engage in sex work.
There are a number of resources for parents of trans children. One of the most comprehensive is PFLAG's Welcoming Our Trans Family and Friends: A Support Guide for Parents, Families, and Friends of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People.
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- Fateful Typo Discovered in Ky Peterson's Sentencing