21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 4:00 AM ET
8. The F Word Isn’t Cool Anymore
A sea change in the culture of professional sports started early in the year when Lakers star Kobe Bryant was fined for using an antigay slur against a referee. Then came Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Braves coach Roger McDowell, and a tough call in hockey as the NHL examined footage to see if a player used a gay slur against straight ally Sean Avery.
(RELATED: Say "Sorry" for Your Salary)
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- IOC Head Warns Athletes Against Protesting in Sochi
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM