Meet the Olympics’ Gay Cousin
BY Neal Broverman
July 11 2012 3:00 AM ET
Randy lesbian pilots, flirtatious male flight attendants, and a plane that looks like a candy-colored nightclub: Those were the main components of a commercial for FreshAir, the world’s first gay airline and the official sponsor for this summer’s LGBT EuroGames in Budapest. The ad, released in May on YouTube, ignited many Google searches. Problem is, FreshAir is a fun fake—a marketing gimmick for the real EuroGames.
The ad ran as the promoters of EuroGames, held June 27–July 1, were preparing to welcome thousands of athletes competing in sports such as soccer, basketball, cycling, and wrestling. EuroGames organizers, who coordinated earlier OutGames and Gay Games, wanted an event to complement the Olympics, to be held in London a month later, while highlighting Eastern Europe as an LGBT vacation destination.
“The main reason for hosting the EuroGames is bringing an international LGBT event to Budapest,” EuroGames spokesman László Gábor says. “Sport is a common language most understand.”
Most of the competitions were near Budapest’s city center, with an Olympic-style village serving as a meeting place for city tours, gay rights conferences, dances, and opening and closing ceremonies.
EuroGames’ real airline partner was Lufthansa. Organizers, though, were happy to milk the FreshAir publicity as long as possible.
“In an economic crisis it’s difficult to get sponsorship, so our only resource left is humor,” Gábor says. “We’d love to fly FreshAir too, but are afraid it still doesn’t exist. Or does it?”
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 8 min 54 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 11 min 29 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 19 min 37 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 38 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 44 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 50 min ago