L.A. LGBTs Celebrate at Senior (Citizen) Prom
BY Trudy Ring
July 05 2013 2:11 PM ET
Last weekend “senior prom” took on a new meaning in Los Angeles, as the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center held a prom especially for LGBT senior citizens, who wouldn’t have been able to take a same-sex date to their high school proms.
“For many, the senior citizen prom was the one they couldn’t have when they were younger,” reports the Los Angeles Times.
One of those people was 88-year-old Robert Clement, who, for his school prom in Pennsylvania in 1942, bought a corsage that he gave to a staffer who organized the event, as he “didn’t have anyone else to give it to,” the Times reports.
“Proms are a rite of passage,” Clement told the paper. “A heterosexual rite of passage. ... But it wasn’t mine.” Clement didn’t have a date for the Gay and Lesbian Center event, as his longtime partner died 10 years ago, but he enjoyed spending time with friends there.
“It was like living in old times with old friends,” he said. “The whole place just came together.”
The event included a catered meal, the crowning of a king and queen, and dancing, with a Lucille Ball impersonator leading a conga line to the dance floor.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 42 min 55 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 15 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 24 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 40 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 40 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 22 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM