Asteroid Named After Gay Rights Activist Frank Kameny
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 5:58 PM ET
An amateur astronomer who discovered an asteroid had named the celestial body after pioneering gay activist Frank Kameny, who died last year at age 86.
Canadian astronomer Gary Billings discovered Minor Planet 40463, located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. After learning about Kameny's life, he and a group of other astronomers have requested to name the asteroid Frankkameny, the Associated Press reports. Billings and Richard “Doc” Kinne, an astronomical technologist at the American Association of Variable Star Observers in Cambridge, Mass., told the AP that they wanted to honor Kameny even though he was pushed out of the astronomy field.
Kameny was a Harvard-educated astronomer who worked for the U.S. Army Map Service through the 1950s. When it was discovered that he was he was gay, he was fired. Kameny contested the firing all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, and he organized the first gay rights protests in front of the White House, and the Pentagon.
The citation officially naming the asteroid on July 3 notes Kameny's astronomy career, as well as his roots in gay rights.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 53 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 28 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 2 hours 5 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 14 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 53 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM