Cow Appreciation Day Protests Underway In Florida
BY Charles Hicks
July 13 2012 1:38 PM ET
It's Cow Appreciation Day, and whoever shows up to a Chick-Fil-A restaurant dressed as a cow will receive a free meal. But this year the restaurant chain is playing host to more than its standard patrons.
Marriage equality advocates in Florida are looking to use the company's annual giveaway to broadcast Chick-Fil-A's connection to antigay organizations. Protesters are wearing rainbow-colored regalia in addition to cow costumes when they place their orders at two of the restaurants Tallahassee locations, according to WCTV, and they are donating their sandwiches to a local homeless shelter.
Chick-Fil-A's official charitable arm gave nearly $2 million to antigay groups in 2010, according to an Equality Matters report released earlier this month. These groups include the National Christian Foundation, Exodus International, the Marriage and Family Foundation, and the Georgia Family Council. The Marriage and Family Foundation alone — which was founded to promote traditional, heterosexual marriage — got $1.1 million.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM