Cow Appreciation Day Protests Underway In Florida
BY Charles Hicks
July 13 2012 2:38 PM ET
It's Cow Appreciation Day, and whoever shows up to a Chick-Fil-A restaurant dressed as a cow will receive a free meal. But this year the restaurant chain is playing host to more than its standard patrons.
Marriage equality advocates in Florida are looking to use the company's annual giveaway to broadcast Chick-Fil-A's connection to antigay organizations. Protesters are wearing rainbow-colored regalia in addition to cow costumes when they place their orders at two of the restaurants Tallahassee locations, according to WCTV, and they are donating their sandwiches to a local homeless shelter.
Chick-Fil-A's official charitable arm gave nearly $2 million to antigay groups in 2010, according to an Equality Matters report released earlier this month. These groups include the National Christian Foundation, Exodus International, the Marriage and Family Foundation, and the Georgia Family Council. The Marriage and Family Foundation alone — which was founded to promote traditional, heterosexual marriage — got $1.1 million.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 14 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM