Leaders Hope to Bring Attention to Extreme Inequality
BY Neal Broverman
July 29 2012 6:42 PM ET
Calling Michigan "the Mississippi of the civil rights movement when it comes to gay equality," the head of a Detroit-area LGBT center will begin a 100-day hunger strike on Monday that will include numerous state activists.
David Garcia, executive director of Affirmations in Ferndale, will go without food for 24 hours on Monday, as part of the "Hunger for Equality" campaign. His goal is to bring attention to the paucity of rights for LGBT Michigan residents. Over the following 99 days, other leaders of Michigan LGBT centers, as well as politicians, will take part in the hunger strike.
"We're trying to educate our straight allies about the extreme anti-equality environment in this state," Garcia told local media.
Michigan has a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage; it also has no statewide protections for LGBT people in employment or housing. There are also no statewide protections for LGBT people against violence and same-sex couples in the state are banned from adopting children. Meanwhile, Gov. Rick Snyder eliminated health insurance benefits for domestic partners of municipal employees last year.
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 19 min 40 sec ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 33 min 41 sec ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 46 min 6 sec ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 51 min 24 sec ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 52 min 29 sec ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 1 hour 8 min ago