Fred Karger Says Amway is the New Chick-fil-A
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2012 3:20 PM ET
A new boycott has been launched after it was discovered that Doug DeVos, co-owner of health and beauty company Amway, has given $500,000 to the antigay National Organization for Marriage.
The Doug and Maria DeVos Foundation gave to several schools and organizations like Michigan State University and the Make A Wish Foundation. They also donated an unrestricted $500,000 grant to the National Organization for Marriage Education Fund, tax records recently revealed.
Prominent gay activist Fred Karger announced the campaign last week on at the 2012 UNITY conference and through BoycottAmway.com. In an open letter to DeVos, Karger wrote that a boycott against Chick-fil-A and Amway was just like NOM's boycott efforts against gay-supportive companies like Starbucks and General Mills.
"We will work with individuals and other organizations to conduct a world-wide boycott of Amway, Alticor and its sister companies Quixtar Incorporated, AccessGroup LLC and all of their subsidiaries and other DeVos family owned companies."
The list of affiliated companies includes Amway brands like Nutrilite vitamins and Laura Mercier cosmetics, as well as other brands like the Orlando Magic and the Fox Automotive Group.
A statement from Amway defended the family's donations.
"As private citizens, the DeVos family supports causes and organizations that advocate for policies aligned to their personal beliefs," the company said according to ABC News.
However, Karger counters in his letter to Amway that while DeVos and NOM have the right to donate to whomever they choose, and to express their own beliefs, " so do we."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 35 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 20 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 38 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 51 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM