ACT UP Crashes Stoli Event
BY Michelle Garcia
July 31 2013 4:27 PM ET
A small group of ACT UP members crashed an event Tuesday night sponsored by vodka brand Stoli, a company that has found itself in the middle of a boycott of Russian spirits now that the country has banned so-called LGBT propaganda.
Activists arrived at The Most Original Stoli Guy: New York competition at Splash bar with signs that read, "Russia Kills Gays," "Dump Stoli," and "Boycott Russia," according to Gay City News.
The bar's security promptly shoved the demonstrators away from the stage. As they were being escorted, the event's drag queen host could be heard saying, "Look at those assholes being taken out of the bar," and "This is America, not Russia."
ACT UP organizer Mark Milano said there were Stoli executives attending the event who "saw their event crashed."
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM