Remembering the B in LGBT
BY Jonathan Vatner
July 25 2009 11:00 PM ET
In a 2005 article in the New York Times entitled "Straight, Gay, or Lying? Bisexuality Revisited," author Benedict Carey questioned whether true bisexuals really exist. If the "National Summit on Putting the 'B' in LGBT," the marquee event of Bi Visibility Weekend in June, had anything to say about it, apparently they do.
Sheela Lambert, founder of the three-year-old Bi Writers Association (formed in response to that article), put together the conference and the weekend's ancillary events (a reading from Lambda Literary Awards finalists called Bi Lines II and sundry meals at nearby restaurants) to illuminate the ranks of bisexuals for the LGBT community to see, and to try to convince organizations such as the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to add the "B" to their names.
"We're constantly bombarded with articles that say we don't exist and press releases that behave as though we don't exist," griped Lambert. "We see 'marriage for gay and lesbian couples' and 'gays and lesbians in the military.' It's very painful to be consistently ignored and excluded from issues that are so central to our lives."
Frank O’Connell, representing the New York Times Company’s GLBT & Allies Affinity Group, welcomed everyone to the conference. He is a bisexual man who has been married to a woman for 31 years, and has been completely open about his bisexuality with his LGBT coworkers. He did say however, that at many of the events he's attended for LGBT journalists, he often encounters men who publicly identify as gay, but in private confide to him that they are in fact bisexual.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 min 19 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 8 min 53 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 49 min 27 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 46 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 56 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 32 min ago