Celebrities Tweet Out About Chick-Fil-A
BY Charles Hicks
July 27 2012 6:51 PM ET
The Twittersphere is aglow with outrage, support, and nonchalance about the clustercluck Chick-Fil-A COO Dan Cathy has stirred up.
Nancy Pelosi hopped in the fray today when she tweeted out, “For the record, I prefer Kentucky Fried Chicken. #ChickFilA.” This was none too shocking considering the House Minority Leader represents the LGBT-friendly district that includes San Francisco. Edwin Lee, San Francisco’s mayor, had an ominous message for the chicken sandwich chain. “Closest #ChickFilA to San Francisco is 40 miles away & I strongly recommend that they not try to come any closer,” he tweeted.
Many conservative political figures have been sending out tweets in support of Chick-Fil-A, however. Former presidential candidate Rick Santorum has joined Mike Huckabee in promoting an unofficial Chick-Fil-A day on August 1. “I’m joining @GovMikeHuckabee to support @ChickFilA Aug 1. Stand w us! RSVP now: ht.ly/cugl1 #chickfila Pls RT.”
Christian preachers have also been tweeting about the company. Rick Warren, pastor and author of The Purpose Driven Life, tweeted, “Political Correctness is the #NewMcCarthyism. Dare to say what the Bible says &be bullied back into conformity #Chick-Fil-A.”
Billy Graham’s official Twitter account sent out a link to a press release by the acclaimed pastor in which he offered his support for the company. “As the son of a dairy farmer who milked many a cow,” he said, “I plan to 'Eat Mor Chikin' and show my support by visiting Chick-fil-A next Wednesday.”
Celebrity-wise, many Hollywood types are coming out against the restaurant's donations to anti-LGBT causes. Perez Hilton tweeted, “I heard #ChickFilA gives you diarrhea! I wouldn’t know. I don’t support those homophobes. I prefer some El Pollo Loco realness!”
Jennifer Coolidge commented, “I rarely eat chicken, but when I do, it’s NEVER at Chick-fil-A.”
Lance Bass posted, “Dear Chick-fil-a… Love, Boston (the city),” along with a scanned letter from the city’s mayor telling Chick-Fil-A not to set up shop there.
Noted film critic Roger Ebert called out the company’s recent annulment from Jim Henson’s Muppets. “Now Chick-fil-A impersonates a teenage girl *and* libels the Muppets,” he tweeted along with a picture of a sign at a Chick-Fil-A claiming the toys were no longer available due to a “possible safety issue."
Ken Jennings of Jeopardy fame also commented on the toy issue. “The new kids’ meals toy at Chick-Fil-A is a posable Anita Bryant doll and now my kids are crying. :(.”
Still, some celebrities are just over the whole thing.
Conan O’Brian took to Twitter to express his concern. He said, “It’s hard to believe that the greatest division in politics these days is pro- or anti-Chick-fil-A.’”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 22 min 2 sec ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 58 min 13 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM