New Study Says Nearly 1 in 4 Men Is Bisexual in the Caribbean
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 15 2012 12:50 PM ET
A surprising new study says that nearly one in four Caribbean men today describe themselves as bisexual, according to the Antigua Observer. The findings are from the regionwide Caribbean Men’s Internet Survey, which has been widely touted as the largest sampling of Caribbean men ever done. It included 2,560 men throughout 33 territories in the region.
“We have a fair population in the Caribbean that identify as bisexual. Across the entire sample … about 20 to 23 per cent say they are bisexual,” Ernest Massiah, facilitator of the CARIMIS project and director of UNAIDS, Caribbean Regional Support Team, told the Observer's Alicia Simon.
Massiah also told the Observer that 15 per cent of the men in the survey did not define themselves in any category and “do not want a label” even though they have sex with other men.
The survey also underscored the “shocking” amount of violence aimed at those thought to be gay or bisexual. Massiah says that CARIMIS reached a far-wider group of men who have sex with men that traditional face-to-face surveys couldn't reach. The results, says the Observer, will go to governments of participating nations to help create policies that help men in their countries.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM