New Study Says Nearly 1 in 4 Men Is Bisexual in the Caribbean
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 15 2012 1:50 PM ET
A surprising new study says that nearly one in four Caribbean men today describe themselves as bisexual, according to the Antigua Observer. The findings are from the regionwide Caribbean Men’s Internet Survey, which has been widely touted as the largest sampling of Caribbean men ever done. It included 2,560 men throughout 33 territories in the region.
“We have a fair population in the Caribbean that identify as bisexual. Across the entire sample … about 20 to 23 per cent say they are bisexual,” Ernest Massiah, facilitator of the CARIMIS project and director of UNAIDS, Caribbean Regional Support Team, told the Observer's Alicia Simon.
Massiah also told the Observer that 15 per cent of the men in the survey did not define themselves in any category and “do not want a label” even though they have sex with other men.
The survey also underscored the “shocking” amount of violence aimed at those thought to be gay or bisexual. Massiah says that CARIMIS reached a far-wider group of men who have sex with men that traditional face-to-face surveys couldn't reach. The results, says the Observer, will go to governments of participating nations to help create policies that help men in their countries.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM