HRC Releases List of Most Gay-Friendly Cities
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 29 2012 6:37 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign released its first Municipal Equality Index Tuesday, rating 137 U.S. cities from all 50 states based on how supportive their policies are to LGBT people. Just 11 cities scored 100% on HRC's new gay-friendly index, but those locales spanned the country from New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Cambridge, Mass., to St. Louis, Portland, Seattle, and several California cities, including Los Angeles and San Francisco. These cities "serve as shining examples of LGBT inclusivity, with excellent policies ranging from non-discrimination laws, equal employee benefits, and cutting-edge city services," HRC stated on its Web page announcing the index.
The 137 cities rated included all state capitals, the 50 most populous cities in the nation, and 25 each of large, mid-size, and small municipalities with the highest proportion of same-sex couples. The index rated cities based on their municipal policies surrounding 47 criteria, summarized in broad categories, which include nondiscrimination laws, relationship recognition, employment practices, inclusiveness of city services, law enforcement, and municipal leadership, according to the HRC.
See how your hometown stacked up here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM