HRC Releases List of Most Gay-Friendly Cities
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 29 2012 6:37 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign released its first Municipal Equality Index Tuesday, rating 137 U.S. cities from all 50 states based on how supportive their policies are to LGBT people. Just 11 cities scored 100% on HRC's new gay-friendly index, but those locales spanned the country from New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Cambridge, Mass., to St. Louis, Portland, Seattle, and several California cities, including Los Angeles and San Francisco. These cities "serve as shining examples of LGBT inclusivity, with excellent policies ranging from non-discrimination laws, equal employee benefits, and cutting-edge city services," HRC stated on its Web page announcing the index.
The 137 cities rated included all state capitals, the 50 most populous cities in the nation, and 25 each of large, mid-size, and small municipalities with the highest proportion of same-sex couples. The index rated cities based on their municipal policies surrounding 47 criteria, summarized in broad categories, which include nondiscrimination laws, relationship recognition, employment practices, inclusiveness of city services, law enforcement, and municipal leadership, according to the HRC.
See how your hometown stacked up here.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 1 hour 38 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 2 hours 37 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM