Morehouse to Offer Course in Black LGBT History, Culture
BY Trudy Ring
December 20 2012 11:06 PM ET
Morehouse College, a historically African-American school, will offer a course in black LGBT history and culture beginning in the spring semester.
Yale University professor Jafari S. Allen will teach the class via Skype, reports The Maroon Tiger, Atlanta-based Morehouse’s student newspaper. “He’s very interested in gender nonconformity among people of color, and I’m interested in that as well,” said Marcus Lee, special project and events coordinator for SafeSpace, Morehouse’s gay-straight alliance, who brought Allen into the project.
Allen told the paper, “What you call ‘human rights advocacy’ is for me just trying to be a responsible person in the world to point out and perhaps, in some cases, also to attempt to help to fix injustices. While this may be controversial in some academic settings where there is the pretension of a kind of nonpolitical educational project, this has never been the case for Morehouse or for any historically black institution. So it is essential for Morehouse students, faculty, administrators, and alumni to engage [in] this conversation.”
SafeSpace public relations director Ja’Mal Lewis said the course will bring visibility to black LGBT leaders who have been overlooked. “Many influential LGBT leaders have gone unrecorded due to their sexuality, and they made many of the movements that changed and shaped our history,” he said.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 30 min 18 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 27 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 30 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM