Advancing Virginia Bill Will Allow College Groups to Discriminate
BY Neal Broverman
February 02 2013 8:01 PM ET
Virginia's lower house passed a bill on Thursday that would allow student groups at public universities to deny members because they conflict with the groups' religious beliefs.
The bill, passed overwhelmingly by a 80-19 vote, prohibts "discriminating against a student organization or group on the basis of the religious, political, philosophical or other content of the organization or group’s speech." The bill also allows religious or political student organizations to determine who will not be allowed in their membership "in furtherance of the organization’s religious or political mission."
Republicans got behind the bill, while Democrats were less enthusiastic. LGBT leaders in the state believe this will give student groups a free pass to deny and boot gay and transgender members.
"Our concern with the bill is it allows discrimination with publicly accessible funds," Kevin Clay of Equality Virginia told Metroweekly. The bill now heads to the state senate.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 38 min 22 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM