WATCH: Ohio Lawmaker to Introduce Hate Crimes Bill
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 29 2013 12:36 PM ET
When an openly gay man was brutally beaten outside a Cleveland gay bar last month, police believed the assault qualified as a hate crime. But they couldn't charge the assailants with a bias-related assault, because Ohio doesn't have a law specifying elevated punishments for crimes intended to intimidate an entire segment of the community.
But one state lawmaker plans to change all that.
Rep. Nickie Antonio, a Democrat representing Lakewood, Ohio, told Cleveland's WJW that she plans to introduce legislation that would make it a hate crime to target or assault someone based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
"I think it's especially important that we raise our consciousness this year, because in 2014, as many people are aware, the Gay Games are coming to Northeast Ohio, and we want to be an open, welcoming, and safe place for people who are going to be coming from all over the world," Antonio said.
WJW notes that in 2011, the FBI reported 228 bias-based crimes in Ohio. Roughly a quarter of those hate crimes were against people perceived as gay or transgender.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 30 min 42 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM