A Win for Gay Mothers in New Mexico
BY Neal Broverman
June 02 2012 3:27 PM ET
New Mexico's highest court reversed a lower court ruling denying parental rights to a gay woman who helped raise and provide financially for her former partner's adopted child.
Bani Chatterjee on Friday was given legal parenting rights to her daughter by the New Mexico supreme court; lower courts said only an opposite-sex partner could be granted rights to a child they raised that wasn't theirs biologically. Chatterjee's former partner, Taya King, adopted a girl from a foreign country, but because of adoption discrimination, couldn't legally adopt the child with Chatterjee. So, while Chatterjee helped raised the girl and provided for her financially, Chatterjee had little recourse after she and King broke up and King took the child to Colorado.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights fought on behalf of Chatterjee; the victory sets an important precedent for gay parents in New Mexico.
"This is a tremendously important decision for our client and for many other families and children in New Mexico who have created stable, loving parent-child relationships that are not based on biology," NCLR Family Protection director Cathy Sakimura said in a statement. "The New Mexico supreme court affirmed that parentage statutes must be applied equally to protect children, regardless of their parents' marital status, gender, or sexual orientation."
Meanwhile, Chatterjee was overjoyed with the decision.
"It is so wonderful for my daughter and me to have our relationship recognized and respected," Chatterjee said in a statement. "After so many years of tension and uncertainty, this will help us all heal and move forward."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM