Virginia GOP Senators Walk Out Rather Than Vote for Gay Judge
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 5:40 PM ET
Tracy Thorne-Begland was first nominated to the state judiciary in Virginia last year, but the out gay father and former fighter pilot's judicial appointment wasn't confirmed until yesterday, according to MaddowBlog. Thorne-Begland was ultimately elected to the Richmond Manchester District Court by a vote of 66-28 in the Republican-controlled House, and a Senate vote of 28-0, confirming Thorne-Begland's legacy as the state's first openly gay judge.
But 12 out of 20 GOP senators abstained from the election, essentially casting "no" votes without actually voting on the decorated Navy veteran's nomination, reports Ben Tribbet.
Last year, when Thorne-Begland's name arose as a candidate for a full-time seat on the bench, several state Republicans said the interim judge's sexual orientation "made him biased and unqualified for the state bench," according to MaddowBlog.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM