Huell Howser, Popular California TV Host, Dead at 67
BY Trudy Ring
January 07 2013 6:05 PM ET
Huell Howser, the popular, folksy California public television host who recently announced his retirement, died Sunday night at age 67.
Howser hosted several travelogue series about points of interest in the Golden State, most recently California’s Gold. He displayed “an awestruck curiosity and relentless enthusiasm,” notes the Los Angeles Times, and his gee-whiz style made him both a target of parodists and a favorite of viewers. In the past, some media reports have alluded to Howser being gay, but that has never been confirmed.
An assistant of Howser’s announced his death; no other details were released, the Times reports. Howser had announced his retirement November 27.
“Huell was able to brilliantly capture the wonder in obscurity,” Al Jerome, president and chief executive of Los Angeles public TV station KCET, told the Times. “From pastrami sandwiches and scarves loomed from lint to the exoticism of cactus gardens and the splendor of Yosemite, he brought us the magic, the humor and poignancy of our region. We will miss him very much.”
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 15 min 58 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 40 min 24 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 54 min 48 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 28 min ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 55 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 51 min ago