Activist, Leader, and Inspiration, Gad Beck Dies Just Short of 89
BY Neal Broverman
June 25 2012 7:52 PM ET
Gad Beck, a gay half-Jewish activist and freedom fighter, passed away in Berlin just days before turning 89.
Beck is thought by some to be the last gay Holocaust survivor. With a Jewish father and mother who converted to Judaism, Beck was considered a half-breed by the Nazis. In 1943, he and his father were taken against their will to a holding compound in Berlin until massive protests by non-Jewish wives convinced the Nazis to release the prisoners. Beck then joined an underground resistance movement and worked to save gay and Jewish Germans. In a heartbreaking turn, the young man tried to rescue his Jewish boyfriend, donning a Hitler youth uniform in an unsuccesful effort to free his lover from a holding camp. Beck's boyfriend, and the boyfriend's family, were carted off to Auschwitz and murdered.
Shortly before the end of World War II, Beck was betrayed by a Gestapo spy. He was taken to a holding camp, but freed when the Allies defeated the Nazis.
After the war, Beck would move to Israel, but return to Germany in 1979, where he became active in gay and Jewish life. His fascinating story was immortalized in the film The Life of Gad Beck and the documentary Paragraph 175. He is survived by Julius Laufer, his partner of 35 years. Read more about Beck here.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 31 min 55 sec ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 33 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM