Harvey Milk to Be Honored on U.S. Postage Stamp
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 10 2013 4:09 PM ET UPDATED: January 07 2014 6:47 PM ET
More than three decades after his assassination, gay San Francisco city supervisor Harvey Milk is still making history.
The U.S. Postal Service will feature Milk on a special commemorative 2014 stamp, the Harvey Milk Foundation announced on its Facebook page today.
Milk made history as the first openly gay man elected to public office in California when he joined the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977. Milk courageously spoke out about his gay identity and encouraged other LGBT people to come out. He was assassinated by former supervisor Dan White November 10, 1978, after White also shot then-mayor George Moscone inside their offices in San Francisco City Hall.
Milk is the first openly LGBT elected official to be featured on U.S. postage, reports the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund's Gay Politics blog.
"Harvey Milk's legacy is alive and well," Victory Fund president Chuck Wolfe said on the blog. "His historic run paved the way for a new generation of LGBT leaders who can be open and honest about who they are, and it's encouraging to see the U.S. Postal Service honoring his legacy of perseverance and pride today."
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported that the USPS would issue additional details about the stamp next week, and included a slogan from Milk that will not necessarily be included on the stamp. The Advocate regrets these errors.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM