Bi Student Booted for Wearing Vagina Tee
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 12:04 PM ET
A bisexual girl in Queens, N.Y., says her right to free speech was violated when she got booted from her high school after her bi pride T-shirt was deemed a distraction. According to the New York Daily News, 15-year-old Brianna Demato wore a tee modelled after the famous Coca-Cola logo, which read "I Enjoy Vagina," but when the dean saw the shirt, she was sent to principal's office and forced to change or go home.
Cathy Demato, Brianna's mother, stuck up for the girl, telling the Daily News that the school was "'discriminating against Brianna. They pulled her out of class for nothing. She’s not hurting anyone. It’s her right to wear that shirt." Demato told the newspaper that the two were "escorted" off school campus (the school denies that).
"Wednesday she’s wearing a shirt that says 'I’m the b*** from down the block.' The message is, she can wear whatever she wants," the elder Demato said.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Mike Pence 'Abhors' Discrimination? His Record Shows Otherwise
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?