Bi Student Booted for Wearing Vagina Tee
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 11:04 AM ET
A bisexual girl in Queens, N.Y., says her right to free speech was violated when she got booted from her high school after her bi pride T-shirt was deemed a distraction. According to the New York Daily News, 15-year-old Brianna Demato wore a tee modelled after the famous Coca-Cola logo, which read "I Enjoy Vagina," but when the dean saw the shirt, she was sent to principal's office and forced to change or go home.
Cathy Demato, Brianna's mother, stuck up for the girl, telling the Daily News that the school was "'discriminating against Brianna. They pulled her out of class for nothing. She’s not hurting anyone. It’s her right to wear that shirt." Demato told the newspaper that the two were "escorted" off school campus (the school denies that).
"Wednesday she’s wearing a shirt that says 'I’m the b*** from down the block.' The message is, she can wear whatever she wants," the elder Demato said.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 1 hour 37 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 2 hours 37 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM