Bi Student Booted for Wearing Vagina Tee
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 12:04 PM ET
A bisexual girl in Queens, N.Y., says her right to free speech was violated when she got booted from her high school after her bi pride T-shirt was deemed a distraction. According to the New York Daily News, 15-year-old Brianna Demato wore a tee modelled after the famous Coca-Cola logo, which read "I Enjoy Vagina," but when the dean saw the shirt, she was sent to principal's office and forced to change or go home.
Cathy Demato, Brianna's mother, stuck up for the girl, telling the Daily News that the school was "'discriminating against Brianna. They pulled her out of class for nothing. She’s not hurting anyone. It’s her right to wear that shirt." Demato told the newspaper that the two were "escorted" off school campus (the school denies that).
"Wednesday she’s wearing a shirt that says 'I’m the b*** from down the block.' The message is, she can wear whatever she wants," the elder Demato said.
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- Even Former NOM Executives Believe Marriage Equality Is Imminent
- What Book Changed the Lives of Our '40 Under 40'?