Bi Student Booted for Wearing Vagina Tee
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 12:04 PM ET
A bisexual girl in Queens, N.Y., says her right to free speech was violated when she got booted from her high school after her bi pride T-shirt was deemed a distraction. According to the New York Daily News, 15-year-old Brianna Demato wore a tee modelled after the famous Coca-Cola logo, which read "I Enjoy Vagina," but when the dean saw the shirt, she was sent to principal's office and forced to change or go home.
Cathy Demato, Brianna's mother, stuck up for the girl, telling the Daily News that the school was "'discriminating against Brianna. They pulled her out of class for nothing. She’s not hurting anyone. It’s her right to wear that shirt." Demato told the newspaper that the two were "escorted" off school campus (the school denies that).
"Wednesday she’s wearing a shirt that says 'I’m the b*** from down the block.' The message is, she can wear whatever she wants," the elder Demato said.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 7 min 37 sec ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM