Bi Student Booted for Wearing Vagina Tee
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 12:04 PM ET
A bisexual girl in Queens, N.Y., says her right to free speech was violated when she got booted from her high school after her bi pride T-shirt was deemed a distraction. According to the New York Daily News, 15-year-old Brianna Demato wore a tee modelled after the famous Coca-Cola logo, which read "I Enjoy Vagina," but when the dean saw the shirt, she was sent to principal's office and forced to change or go home.
Cathy Demato, Brianna's mother, stuck up for the girl, telling the Daily News that the school was "'discriminating against Brianna. They pulled her out of class for nothing. She’s not hurting anyone. It’s her right to wear that shirt." Demato told the newspaper that the two were "escorted" off school campus (the school denies that).
"Wednesday she’s wearing a shirt that says 'I’m the b*** from down the block.' The message is, she can wear whatever she wants," the elder Demato said.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 2 hours 57 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM