Notes From Outgames: The Volleyballer
BY Ross Forman
July 28 2009 12:00 AM ET
Dave Steeves made his World Outgames debut Sunday in the first day of competition of the eight-day LGBT sporting gala.
Steeves, 39, of North Olmsted, Ohio, played beach volleyball on a makeshift four-person team of three Americans and one from Belgium. He's also playing softball here -- just as he does in Cleveland's LGBT softball league -- on the London Raiders, another mix of players from around the world.
"The volleyball was great; I've had a great time here already," Steeves said. "I enjoy traveling, meeting people from all over the world. Even though I'm not in a competitive division [of my sports], I'm a competitive person and I like to play sports. I like to do my best.
"This was one of the most drama-free volleyball experiences I have ever had; everyone was really laid-back."
Advocate.com:What is the best part of beach volleyball?Dave Steeves: Being able to dive for balls. I mostly play indoor volleyball, and there you really have to worry about what happens to you when you hit the ground. On the beach you can go all out [on a dive].
Does beach volleyball also deliver the best scenery?Yes, it does. I have come to really enjoy the nation of Brazil.
What's more difficult, diving for a ball on the beach or trying to snag a line drive as a softball pitcher?Well, I don't get bruised as much in beach volleyball; I'm still wearing a bruise from two weeks ago in softball. I'm lucky -- I've never been injured playing volleyball, yet have had a couple of injuries from softball.
Worst injury?Sprained finger, which is never good when you're a sign-language interpreter.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 4 min 43 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 1 hour 4 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM