49ers Coach Says He'd Welcome a Gay Player
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 1:54 PM ET
At least one half of the Harbowl would welcome a gay player on his team — the San Francisco half.
"Personally, there’s no discrimination in my heart,” said 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, according to OutSports.
The San Francisco Harbaugh (who faces off against his brother John as coach of the Baltimore Ravens in the Super Bowl) is a former player himself as an ex-quarterback for the Chicago Bears. OutSports reports that he told the San Francisco Chronicle's subscription iPad magazine his expectations wouldn't change if a player of his were gay.
"I ask all players to play through their own personality and be who they are," he said. "What you ask of a player is to be a great teammate and be a good player. My expectations would be the same."
So far no NFL player has dared to come out while still in the league. Neither has any player on any major sports. A campaign called "The Last Closet" has called on team owners, who have been accused of helping keep players closeted, to express their support for coming out.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 8 min 7 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 29 min 3 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 46 min 35 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 1 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 12 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 30 min ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 1 hour 47 min ago