Olympic Committee Says Russia's Antigay Bill Won't Affect LGBT Olympians
BY Jase Peeples
June 16 2013 5:00 AM ET
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has officially announced it will welcome open LGBT Olympians when they travel to Russia to compete at the winter games in 2014, reports Gay Star News.
The news comes shortly after the lower house of Russia’s Parliament passed the “non-traditional relationships propaganda” law last week by a 436-0 vote.
Though the measure still needs to be approved by Parliament’s upper house and signed into law by President Vladimir Putin, it is expected to pass easily by the end of the month. Under the so-called gay propaganda law, any foreigner who is perceived to be promoting homosexuality would face a jail sentence of 15 days and deportation.
However, the IOC hopes to quell the fears that openly gay and lesbian athletes will be targeted at the upcoming Sochi Winter Olympics and they have released an official statement addressing the issue.
An IOC spokesman told Gay Star News they were “concerned” about the bill becoming law and they remain committed “to non-discrimination against those taking part in the Olympic Games.”
“The IOC is an open organization and athletes of all orientations will be welcome at the Games,” said the spokesman.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 3 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM