Maddow: Gay Athletes in Sochi Are Brave
BY Michelle Garcia
January 24 2014 2:59 PM ET
MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow predicts that multiple athletes will come out as LGBT during the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, where simply being openly gay could be seen as violating the country's LGBT propaganda law.
"Being openly gay in Russia is itself an act of bravery right now," Maddow told David Letterman Thursday. "Athletes are coming to Russia right now from all over the world to do that. I don't expect Mexico City–style protests, but simply being open about their sexual orientation in Russia right now is like a one-finger salute to Vladimir Putin, and I think a lot of people who would have otherwise not brought it up are going to bring it up."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM