Maddow: Gay Athletes in Sochi Are Brave
BY Michelle Garcia
January 24 2014 2:59 PM ET
MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow predicts that multiple athletes will come out as LGBT during the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, where simply being openly gay could be seen as violating the country's LGBT propaganda law.
"Being openly gay in Russia is itself an act of bravery right now," Maddow told David Letterman Thursday. "Athletes are coming to Russia right now from all over the world to do that. I don't expect Mexico City–style protests, but simply being open about their sexual orientation in Russia right now is like a one-finger salute to Vladimir Putin, and I think a lot of people who would have otherwise not brought it up are going to bring it up."
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word