Maddow: Gay Athletes in Sochi Are Brave
BY Michelle Garcia
January 24 2014 2:59 PM ET
MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow predicts that multiple athletes will come out as LGBT during the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, where simply being openly gay could be seen as violating the country's LGBT propaganda law.
"Being openly gay in Russia is itself an act of bravery right now," Maddow told David Letterman Thursday. "Athletes are coming to Russia right now from all over the world to do that. I don't expect Mexico City–style protests, but simply being open about their sexual orientation in Russia right now is like a one-finger salute to Vladimir Putin, and I think a lot of people who would have otherwise not brought it up are going to bring it up."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- Op-ed: They're Trans, They're Hispanic, and They've Changed This World