Hundreds Stand For Michael Sam Against Westboro Demonstration
BY Michelle Garcia
February 16 2014 1:44 PM ET
Supporters of gay football player Michael Sam rallied to block the view of picketers from the Westboro Baptist Church on Saturday, during a basketball game that the NFL hopeful was attending.
Sam's supporters — possibly more than one thousand people — lined up outside the University of Missouri stadium with signs, flags, and t-shirts proclaiming their solidarity. Eventually, Sam's allies went inside for the game, where, during halftime, Missouri's football team was honored for their victory at the Cotton Bowl over Oklahoma State.
— Mizzou (@Mizzou) February 15, 2014
According to the Los Angeles Times, the event was Sam's first public appearance since his coming out last weekend.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015
- Boy Scouts' Ban on Gay Adults Lifted