Hundreds Stand For Michael Sam Against Westboro Demonstration
BY Michelle Garcia
February 16 2014 1:44 PM ET
Supporters of gay football player Michael Sam rallied to block the view of picketers from the Westboro Baptist Church on Saturday, during a basketball game that the NFL hopeful was attending.
Sam's supporters — possibly more than one thousand people — lined up outside the University of Missouri stadium with signs, flags, and t-shirts proclaiming their solidarity. Eventually, Sam's allies went inside for the game, where, during halftime, Missouri's football team was honored for their victory at the Cotton Bowl over Oklahoma State.
— Mizzou (@Mizzou) February 15, 2014
According to the Los Angeles Times, the event was Sam's first public appearance since his coming out last weekend.
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- Op-ed: HIV Is No Longer A Death Sentence But It Still Isn't Easy
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Reports: Dallas Cowboys Eye Michael Sam for Practice Squad
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia