Michael Sam Picks Up First Endorsement Deal
BY Michelle Garcia
May 09 2014 1:27 PM ET
Michael Sam has signed a deal with Visa, giving the openly gay football player and NFL hopeful his first corporate endorsement.
Sam, who may be drafted by a NFL team this weekend, appears in the ad that doesn't mention his sexuality.
“Judge me for running a 4.91 at the combine, for a blown tackle on the outside rush,” Sam says in the ad, while bench pressing. “Or holding fourth and goal with your team’s wild-card berth on the line. Remember me for sending you home with tears of joy or tears of sorrow. Judge me for what I do on the field.”
Cameron Weiss, Sam's attorney and agent, said they had been offered other endorsements but have been selective in choosing which company to align with.
"We felt that Michael's story was a perfect fit for our 'everywhere' campaign, which is meant to inspire people to reach their own personal goals and aspirations," Visa's chief marketing officer Kevin Burke told ESPN. "We wish Michael the best on and off the field as he embarks on the next chapter of his life."
The NFL draft continues through Saturday.
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Love Is Strange: A Love Story for Our Times
- Op-ed: In Mass. Politics, Love Now Dares to Speak Its Name
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.