Michael Sam and Johnny Football's Jerseys Fly Off Shelves
BY Michelle Garcia
May 12 2014 2:37 PM ET
While Johnny Manziel, or Johnny Football, may be the draft pick with the highest-selling rookie jersey on NFL.com right now, openly gay St. Louis Rams recruit Michael Sam's jersey is ranked right up there at number two.
Sam, who will wear number 10, was drafted 249th overall in the seventh round on Saturday. Nonetheless, after just a few hours of being affiliated with professional football, Sam presently has the second-best-selling jersey, followed by other high-profile draftees, Jadeveon Clowney Teddy Bridgewater, and Blake Bortles, all of whom were drafted in the first round.
"This is unprecedented for a Day 3 pick, let alone a seventh round pick, to crack the top five rookies sold following Draft weekend," NFL spokesperson Joanna Hunter said, according to CBS Sports.
Similarly, Jason Collins, who was signed to a short contract with the Brooklyn Nets earlier this year, was the first openly gay active player in professional basketball. His jersey was a top seller through the NBA for several weeks.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris Explains He Got Married for His Kids
- WATCH: Ellen Does Pot Brownies With Matthew McConaughey
- Catholic Clergy Demand That Gay Couple Divorce