BY Andrew Collins
March 04 2009 1:00 AM ET
Meal Plan On the edge of downtown, in the up-and-coming Roosevelt Row arts and retail district, Cheuvront Restaurant & Wine Bar (1326 N. Central Ave.; 602-307-0022) was established by openly gay Arizona state senator Ken Cheuvront, serving up plates of hard-to-find artisanal cheeses, globally inspired tapas, and well-chosen wines by the glass, flight, or bottle. Next to the vaunted Italian sandwich shop Pane Bianco (4404 N. Central Ave.; 602-234-2100) is Lux Coffee Bar (4404 N. Central Ave.; 602-696-9976), modern Phoenix's answer to a Beat Generation java café, complete with organic espresso of the bracingly potent variety, edgy art exhibits, and the best people-watching in town.
In Scottsdale some of the hottest chefs in the Southwest turn out innovative, high-concept fare. Try the scene-y Cowboy Ciao (7133 E. Stetson Dr.; 480-946-3111), a Wild West-meets-Far East spot in a hip SouthBridge urban village.
Take a Hike There are more than 200 parks within Phoenix, and dozens more in the outlying cities and towns, offering visitors a chance to satisfy their desert wanderlust. On your own, it's simple to tackle South Mountain Park and Preserve (10919 S. Central Ave.; 602-534-0527), a 16,000-acre landscape laced with some 51 miles of hiking, biking, and horseback trails. Hike to Dobbins Lookout (reached from several trails), the park's highest trail-accessible point (elevation: 2,330 feet), for a dandy view of the valley. For a guided ramble through some of the region's most alluring wilderness, book a half- or full-day tour through Take a Hike Arizona (866-615-2748), a gay-friendly, eco-minded outfitter offering nature strolls suited to all abilities.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 21 min 16 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 38 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 1 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 3 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 33 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM