Molly Ringwald to Head Up L.A. Pride
BY Michelle Garcia
May 24 2012 12:30 PM ET
Actress and '80s teen queen Molly Ringwald has been named grand marshal of Los Angeles' 42nd annual pride festival this June 10.
Molly shot to fame in the 1980’s in an iconic series of beloved John Hughes films, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink. Having played several roles on Broadway, Ringwald now stars in ABC Family’s The Secret Life of the American Teenager.
Ringwald and her family filmed a public service announcement against California's Proposition 8, and her most recent collection of short stories, When It Happens to You: A Novel in Stories, includes the story of a 6-year-old transgender boy.
“Molly and crew told our stories in the ’80s, helping so many of us dealing with all of the challenges of being a teen,” said Sam Borelli, L.A. Pride communications consultant. “That she continues to reach young people, letting them know that their stories matter, that they are real, is why we chose her during this year of youth empowerment.”
And Ringwald has embraced her gay fans, just as she has embraced the gay people in her life.
"Since most my friends are gay, it would be hard not to be aware of it now, but I don’t think I realized it early on in my career because I don’t know that I definitely had that fan base until later," she told The Advocate in 2010. "I became pretty aware of it in the ’90s, after some time had passed, and especially when I was living in New York and doing a lot of theater."
Past parade grand marshals include Johnny Weir, Sharon and Kelly Osbourne, and Chelsea Handler.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS What Do You Do When You Find Out You Have HIV? March 12 2014 7:06 PM