Antigay Kansas Middle School Teachers Lets It All Hang Out on Facebook
BY Neal Broverman
May 16 2012 2:58 PM ET
A Kansas social studies teacher shared his thoughts on gays — they're going to hell and are as bad as murderers— on Facebook.
Jack Conkling is a social studies teacher at Prairie Middle School and an assistant freshman women's basketball coach at Buhler High School. He's also a devout Christian who feels strongly enough about gay people that he took to Facebook to air his thoughts on them and eternal damnation. Mind you, Conkling is friends with many members of his high school basketball team — some of whom defended his statements, while others took him to task.
The Advocate reached out to Craig Williams, Prairie Middle School's principal, but did not immediately receive a response. Williams told local media he is looking into the matter of Conkling's posting. Read the Facebook rant below:
"All this talk in the news about gay marriage recently has finally driven me to write. Gay marriage is wrong because homosexuality is wrong. The Bible clearly states it is sin. Now I do not claim it to be a sin any worse than other sins. It ranks in God's eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating. His standards are perfect and ALL have sinned and fallen short of His glory. Sin is sin and we all deserve hell. Only those who accept Christ as Lord and daily with the help of the Spirit do their best to turn from sin will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. There aren't multiple ways to get to Heaven. There is one. To many this may seem close minded and antagonistic, but it doesn't make it any less true. Folks I am willing to admit that my depravity is just as great as anyone else's, and without Christ I'd be destined for hell, if not for the undeserved grace of God. I'm not condemning gay marriage because I hate gay people. I am doing it because those who embrace it will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven. And I desire that for no one."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM