WATCH: Dan Savage Says Tony Perkins 'Sits on a Pile of Dead Gay Kids'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 02 2012 7:08 PM ET
Dan Savage, author, activist, and founder of the It Gets Better Project, last week told a group of students at Winona State University in Minnesota that Tony Perkins, president of the antigay Family Research Council, "sits on a pile of dead gay kids every day when he goes to work."
The outspoken columnist launched into a tirade about the hate-group president, arguing that "Tony Perkins tells the parents of queer kids to do what Tony Perkins damn well knows drives those kids to suicide."
"Why would someone who calls themself a Christian do that?" Savage asked the crowd before answering his own question. "Because every dead gay kid is a victory for the Family Research Council."
Other notoriously antigay personalities didn't manage to escape Savage's criticisms, including Minnesota congresswoman and former GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.
"We will always have ignorant dicks like Michele Bachmann and her faggot husband," said Savage.
No stranger to controversial speech, Savage drew criticism from conservative pundits in April when he told a gathering of high school journalists, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people." Several students walked out of the lecture in protest.
The edited video below was posted by CampusReform.org, which says it is "designed to provide conservative activists with the resources, networking capabilities, and skills they need to revolutionize the struggle against leftist bias and abuse on college campuses."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM