Teacher Finally Resigns After Antigay Facebook Rant
BY Lucas Grindley
October 10 2012 3:34 PM ET
A special education teacher who set off outrage last year when she posted antigay comments on Facebook has stepped down, a New Jersey newspaper reports.
Viki Knox complained about her New Jersey high school's recognition of October as LGBT History Month, and she reacted to another teacher's suggestion that Union High School launch a gay-straight alliance with, "Well, if I knew UHS was going to Hell in a handbasket before I know it for sure now!"
The Star-Ledger reports that Knox resigned over the summer and is pursuing a settlement. She is seeking in court a disability pension because of a back injury and "psychological" damage. Her supporters claim she is a victim of relgious-based discrimination.
But even Gov. Chris Christie, who passed one the country's toughest anti-bullying laws, had chimed in with condemnation of Knox's public statements. “I think that kind of example is not a positive one at all to be setting for folks who have such an important and influential position in our society. I'm really concerned about those kinds of statements being made.”
Among what is known that Knox said, "Homosexuality is a perverted spirit that has existed from the beginning of creation. … I know sin and it breeds like cancer!" And she claimed to be "pitching a fit" about a school photo display that included Virginia Woolf, Harvey Milk, and Neil Patrick Harris.
When "don't ask, don't tell" was being repealed, Knox wrote on Twitter, “DON’T ASK, DON’T TELL!?! ARE THEY SERIOUS? GOD IS NOT PLEASED AND NEITHER AM I!!! THE END IS NEAR!!!”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM