Teacher Finally Resigns After Antigay Facebook Rant
BY Lucas Grindley
October 10 2012 3:34 PM ET
A special education teacher who set off outrage last year when she posted antigay comments on Facebook has stepped down, a New Jersey newspaper reports.
Viki Knox complained about her New Jersey high school's recognition of October as LGBT History Month, and she reacted to another teacher's suggestion that Union High School launch a gay-straight alliance with, "Well, if I knew UHS was going to Hell in a handbasket before I know it for sure now!"
The Star-Ledger reports that Knox resigned over the summer and is pursuing a settlement. She is seeking in court a disability pension because of a back injury and "psychological" damage. Her supporters claim she is a victim of relgious-based discrimination.
But even Gov. Chris Christie, who passed one the country's toughest anti-bullying laws, had chimed in with condemnation of Knox's public statements. “I think that kind of example is not a positive one at all to be setting for folks who have such an important and influential position in our society. I'm really concerned about those kinds of statements being made.”
Among what is known that Knox said, "Homosexuality is a perverted spirit that has existed from the beginning of creation. … I know sin and it breeds like cancer!" And she claimed to be "pitching a fit" about a school photo display that included Virginia Woolf, Harvey Milk, and Neil Patrick Harris.
When "don't ask, don't tell" was being repealed, Knox wrote on Twitter, “DON’T ASK, DON’T TELL!?! ARE THEY SERIOUS? GOD IS NOT PLEASED AND NEITHER AM I!!! THE END IS NEAR!!!”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP