Boy Scouts Stop Taking Calls, Tony Perkins Freaks Out
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 2:56 PM ET
Just two days after the Boy Scouts of America asked for public input in reconsidering the organization's long-standing ban on gay scouts and troop leaders, the BSA's Service Desk line, formerly answered by a live person, has been replaced with an automated recording redirecting comments about the policy to BSA's contact page on its website.
That didn't sit well with Tony Perkins, the president of the antigay Family Research Council. Perkins sent a frantic email to FRC supporters, asking them to call individual members of the BSA board and beg them to "not jeopardize the safety and moral integrity of Scouting in the interest of social activism."
Perkins also published the direct phone numbers of members of the BSA Board of Directors, complete with a sample script replete with scare tactics about the moral imperative of "restricting homosexuals from holding leadership positions over boys."
Read Perkins' histrionic email on the next page.
- UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Rising Above the Down Low
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM