Boy Scouts Will Hire Convicts, But Not Gays
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 14 2013 1:28 PM ET
The Boy Scouts of America will not hire "avowed homosexuals," but will consider employing convicted criminals, according to an employment application obtained by the Human Rights Campaign.
According to the employment application, in an "exercise of its constitutional right to bring the values of Scouting to its youth members, the Boy Scouts of America will not employ atheists, agnostics, known or avowed homosexuals, or others as professional Scouters…"
But the application also states, "conviction of a crime is not an automatic bar to employment," according to HRC.
"It's so rare these days to see such blatant discrimination written down on paper," writes HRC President Chad Griffin in a letter sent to HRC's supporters.
The BSA has come under intense criticism for its long-standing ban on gay Scouts or Scoutmasters, and after implying that the organization might reconsider its discriminatory position, earlier this month BSA leadership delayed that decision until a board meeting in May. More than 1.4 million signatures on a petition urging the BSA to repeal its ban were delivered to the BSA's headquarters on February 5, after den mother Jennifer Tyrrell was ousted for being a lesbian, and several corporate sponsors stepped away from the Scouts due to its discriminatory policy, including Intel and UPS.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- A Letter to My Partners
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 17 min 29 sec ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 20 min 10 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 23 min 15 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 53 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 56 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 23 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 26 min ago