Boy Scouts Will Hire Convicts, But Not Gays
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 14 2013 1:28 PM ET
The Boy Scouts of America will not hire "avowed homosexuals," but will consider employing convicted criminals, according to an employment application obtained by the Human Rights Campaign.
According to the employment application, in an "exercise of its constitutional right to bring the values of Scouting to its youth members, the Boy Scouts of America will not employ atheists, agnostics, known or avowed homosexuals, or others as professional Scouters…"
But the application also states, "conviction of a crime is not an automatic bar to employment," according to HRC.
"It's so rare these days to see such blatant discrimination written down on paper," writes HRC President Chad Griffin in a letter sent to HRC's supporters.
The BSA has come under intense criticism for its long-standing ban on gay Scouts or Scoutmasters, and after implying that the organization might reconsider its discriminatory position, earlier this month BSA leadership delayed that decision until a board meeting in May. More than 1.4 million signatures on a petition urging the BSA to repeal its ban were delivered to the BSA's headquarters on February 5, after den mother Jennifer Tyrrell was ousted for being a lesbian, and several corporate sponsors stepped away from the Scouts due to its discriminatory policy, including Intel and UPS.
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM