GLAAD to Carly Rae Jepsen: Denounce Scouts' Gay Ban, Maybe?
BY Trudy Ring
March 02 2013 2:55 PM ET
Rock band Train, announced to perform at the Boy Scouts of America’s National Scouting Jamboree in July, has now declined to appear unless the Scouts’ gay ban is lifted, and LGBT activists are calling on the other announced headliner, Carly Rae Jepsen, to do the same.
On Friday, shortly after GLAAD and Eagle Scout Derek Nance initiated a petition calling on both musical acts to denounce the ban, Train issued this statement: “When we booked this show for the Boy Scouts of America we were not aware of any policy barring openly gay people from participation within the organization. Train strongly opposes any kind of policy that questions the equality of any American citizen. We have always seen the BSA as a great and noble organization. We look forward to participating in the Jamboree this summer, as long as they make the right decision before then.”
Train is scheduled to headline the event’s closing night, July 20, and Jepsen is scheduled for opening night, July 16. Both acts have a history of LGBT-friendliness, having spoken out for marriage equality, and the video for Jepsen’s hit “Call Me Maybe” has a gay twist at the end.
The BSA is reportedly considering lifting the nationwide ban on gay members and leaders, replacing it with a policy that would allow local troops to set membership criteria. The national board was expected to act on the matter last month, but delayed the decision until May.
To sign a petition to Jepsen, click here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 2 hours 45 min ago
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM