Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
BY Lucas Grindley
May 22 2013 3:18 PM ET
Some parents with kids in schools that will honor "Harvey Milk Day" are keeping them home from school today.
Today, May 22, is Milk's birthday, and it's been a moment to remember the slain civil rights leader's contribution. The White House, for example, is honoring 10 LGBT people today a Harvey Milk "Champions of Change." And the city of Long Beach dedicated a park in his memory. But San Diego's ABC affiliate reports that an ad campaign is calling on parents to keep their kids home from school for fear of learning about LGBT equality.
"They'll be taught an agenda that attacks our family values," the ad states, according to the report.
A leader with the group that bought the ads, called SaveCalifornia.com, claims that Harvey Milk Day is a way of "sexually indoctrinating children."
Milk was honored in 2009 by President Obama with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. And the White House announced it would honor Milk further by dedicating this year's Champions of Change awards to his work.
Watch a video report about the California ads below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 17 min 25 sec ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 34 min 7 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 35 min 54 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 37 min 4 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 7 min ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 38 min ago
- News New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action 2 hours 9 min ago