Artist Spotlight: Exterface
BY Albert Smith
April 24 2010 4:35 AM ET
Why are you photographers?
We felt the need to express ourselves visually and give life to our spiritual visions, between eroticism and poetry.
What catches your eye?
Sexiness, charm, and purity ,which define our conception of beauty.
How do you choose your subjects?
Subjects inspire models, and models inspire subjects. They all come from inspirations, discussions, fascinations.
How do you describe your work?
We're inspired by advertising, by desire, and by life itself. We create an iconography which is a crossover between beauty and indecency, which expresses an interior duality. Through heady scenes and vivid colors, we lead our models to reveal their deepest mysteries and finest fantasies. Human isn't a human anymore; human becomes an indecent, timeless, videogenic creature. With a cinematic approach, our series tells a story as a fresco where the plot is all not what it seems. We invite people to attend a performance where the model seems palpable yet somehow unreal.
What makes a good photograph to you?
The perfect combination: emotion, composition, and aestheticism.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
To work with generous, passionate, and talented people, it's the best way to be inspired and create without limits. To mention a few as influences: Tom of Finland, Steven Klein, Tim Walker, Bruce Weber, François Rousseau ...
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 12 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM