Artist Spotlight: Greg Endries
BY Albert Smith
July 10 2010 5:00 AM ET
Greg Endries was born in upstate New York. He lived in Los Angeles for 11 years and is now living and working in New York City. His work has been exhibited and published internationally in magazines ranging from Black Book to Black Inches. He has shot for and appeared on TV shows including Project Runway, The Simple Life, Glam God with Vivica A. Fox, and Logo's New Now Next Awards.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Greg Endries: It's a creative outlet for me. Sometimes I even make money from it.
What catches your eye?
Pretty things. Ugly places. Unusual items.
How do you choose your subjects?
Since photography is such a visual medium, I look for subjects that have a look that I respond to. I like shooting creative types who like getting their picture taken and being a part of the process but aren't necessarily vain about it and can have fun and take risks with their appearance for the sake of making great pictures.
How do you describe your work?
Fabulously glamorous while at the same time not taking itself too seriously.
What makes a good photograph to you?
Attention to detail. A point of view. A sense of humor.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Artists with who can incorporate wit and whimsy into their work. Artists who evolve and try new things over time. Banksy. Avedon. Warhol. Lichtenstein. Tom of Finland, to name a few.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 24 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 40 min 21 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 53 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 49 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM