Artist Spotlight: Greg Endries
BY Albert Smith
July 10 2010 4:00 AM ET
Greg Endries was born in upstate New York. He lived in Los Angeles for 11 years and is now living and working in New York City. His work has been exhibited and published internationally in magazines ranging from Black Book to Black Inches. He has shot for and appeared on TV shows including Project Runway, The Simple Life, Glam God with Vivica A. Fox, and Logo's New Now Next Awards.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Greg Endries: It's a creative outlet for me. Sometimes I even make money from it.
What catches your eye?
Pretty things. Ugly places. Unusual items.
How do you choose your subjects?
Since photography is such a visual medium, I look for subjects that have a look that I respond to. I like shooting creative types who like getting their picture taken and being a part of the process but aren't necessarily vain about it and can have fun and take risks with their appearance for the sake of making great pictures.
How do you describe your work?
Fabulously glamorous while at the same time not taking itself too seriously.
What makes a good photograph to you?
Attention to detail. A point of view. A sense of humor.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Artists with who can incorporate wit and whimsy into their work. Artists who evolve and try new things over time. Banksy. Avedon. Warhol. Lichtenstein. Tom of Finland, to name a few.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book
- Attackers Dismantle Roof of Moscow Gay Club
- Pope Removes Hard-Line Marriage Equality Opponent From Vatican Panel
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 2 hours 37 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 4:19 AM
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM