Artist Spotlight: Greg Endries
BY Albert Smith
July 10 2010 5:00 AM ET
Greg Endries was born in upstate New York. He lived in Los Angeles for 11 years and is now living and working in New York City. His work has been exhibited and published internationally in magazines ranging from Black Book to Black Inches. He has shot for and appeared on TV shows including Project Runway, The Simple Life, Glam God with Vivica A. Fox, and Logo's New Now Next Awards.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Greg Endries: It's a creative outlet for me. Sometimes I even make money from it.
What catches your eye?
Pretty things. Ugly places. Unusual items.
How do you choose your subjects?
Since photography is such a visual medium, I look for subjects that have a look that I respond to. I like shooting creative types who like getting their picture taken and being a part of the process but aren't necessarily vain about it and can have fun and take risks with their appearance for the sake of making great pictures.
How do you describe your work?
Fabulously glamorous while at the same time not taking itself too seriously.
What makes a good photograph to you?
Attention to detail. A point of view. A sense of humor.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Artists with who can incorporate wit and whimsy into their work. Artists who evolve and try new things over time. Banksy. Avedon. Warhol. Lichtenstein. Tom of Finland, to name a few.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM