Artist Spotlight: Marco Ovando
BY Albert Smith
September 11 2010 3:00 AM ET
Marco Ovando was born in Guatemala City in 1974 and lives in New York, a city whose vibrant nightlife serves as one of his primary inspirations and a source of subject matter. His work combines elements of fashion, video, travel documentary, and celebrity portraiture. His photos have been featured in a number of magazines, including Maxim and Next, and cosmetics company Sephora commissioned him to do a video for a major campaign in 2009.
Why are you a photographer?
I wanted to show everyone the way my brain and eyes see things. My eyes are a 24/7 working camera, so everything I see is like looking through a lens.
What catches your eye?
Beautiful people. It doesn't necessarily need to be a model or a perfect 10. I like photographing women, men, and all the genders in between.
How do you choose your subjects?
It's really hard to explain, but I spot them really easily. I usually see someone walking around and I know I must photograph them. A lot has to do with the way they carry themselves. Working in nightlife in NYC gives me the privilege to be surrounded by so many beautiful creatures — usually the most edgy, weird-looking people catch my attention. I see "sexy" on everyone.
How do you describe your work?
I would it call sexy and bright. I like to show my subjects in a very comfortable environment. There's a lot of sexual energy in it, but it's between the subject and the camera. My work can be graphic but always tasteful. The prefect name for it would be "porn chic."
Who are your favorite artists?
Salvador Dalí, Keith Haring, Kaws, and in photography, David LaChapelle, Steven Klein, and Terry Richardson.
For more please go to www.marcovando.com.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 4 min 34 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 25 min 30 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 43 min 2 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 58 min 13 sec ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 8 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 27 min ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 1 hour 44 min ago