Artist Spotlight: Brian Moss
BY Christopher Harrity
June 01 2013 4:00 AM ET
Above: Brian Moss today. Below: Moss in the '80s and '90s.
Photographer Brian Moss is in a unique position. He is inside a guarded society and an observer at the same time. His point of view varies between promoter, documentarian, and photographer of the outrageous.
In his words:
"In 1982, I opened Better Bodies Gym in New York City. My gym quickly attracted local bodybuilders, and I became an active participant in the birth of women’s bodybuilding and the growth of men’s bodybuilding. Many of these bodybuilders remain close friends, and my experience with them has afforded me a level of trust and intimacy that they do not usually allow, let alone with a camera.
"In 1997, I picked up a camera for the first time since childhood and casually started to photograph the leading competitors in the bodybuilding and fitness world. My images are unguarded, honest, and voyeuristic. Whether they capture backstage scenes at the Mr. Olympia or private moments in a hotel room hours before the competitor steps out on stage, these images are imbued with an intimacy that had never been seen before.
"Many of my photographs of bodybuilders shot for advertising campaigns have become iconic and have influenced the way bodybuilders are now portrayed in ads."
Click through for a portfolio of his work.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 2 min 22 sec ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 1 hour 1 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 2 hours 21 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2:11 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM