Artist Spotlight: Paul Freeman
BY Christopher Harrity
September 01 2013 5:00 AM ET
International award-winning photographer Paul Freeman grew up in Tasmania and moved to Sydney after graduating from university.
Paul's nude portraits of sports stars and actors began appearing in the mid-'90s in Studio Magazines' international publications Black and White, Sport, and Blue.
In 1996 he wrote a best-selling biography of Australian footballer Ian Roberts, Ian Roberts: Finding Out, published by Random House in 1997.
In 2000, Paul's photography was featured in New York Times art critic Robert Hughes's documentary about Australia, Beyond the Fatal Shore.
His work with Olympians is featured in the books The Sydney Dream (2000), The Athens Dream (2004), and Sportbook (2003), published by Studio.
Paul's first monograph, Bondi Classic, was published to critical acclaim in 2003, and a best-selling series of books followed, including Bondi Urban (2005), Bondi Work (2006), and Bondi Road (2007). (The first and second editions for these titles are now sold out, and Paul is working on revised editions which will appear in the next year to commemorate his 10th year of publishing his monographs.)
Equally successful has been Paul's more recent Outback series, Outback ( 2008), Outback Currawong Creek (2009), Outback Brumby (2010), and Outback Bushmen (2012). (The first edition of Outback Currawong Creek is sold out, and a new edition will be printed in the next year.)
The first Heroics was released in 2011. Heroics 2 was released in July of this year.
For more information, interviews, and Paul's blog, go to www.paulfreeman.com.au
Click through to view selections from Freeman's books >>>
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 32 min 35 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 32 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM