Classic Comic Strip Features Gay Teen Story
BY Michelle Garcia
April 28 2012 1:34 PM ET
To celebrate its 40th anniversary in print, comic strip Funky Winkerbean will include a story arc about a gay couple at Tom Batiuk's fictional Westview High School.
Batiuk's comic has featured story lines on other serious topics such as teen pregnancy, suicide, cancer, alcoholism and other issues, according to the Huffington Post. But Batiuk was compelled to write about gay teenagers after sitting in on classes at his old high school.
"...I see how the younger generation's attitude toward gays is more open and accepting than that of their predecessors. It shows promise that this emerging generation will one day bring this cultural war to an end," he said.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: Krave Massive Nightclub Opens in Las Vegas 12 min 36 sec ago
- Style Hairy Hose for Hairless Bros? 29 min 28 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality 1 hour 2 min ago
- Style WATCH: How to Dress For Summer 1 hour 8 min ago
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 1 hour 41 min ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 1 hour 54 min ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 2 hours 59 sec ago