Classic Comic Strip Features Gay Teen Story
BY Michelle Garcia
April 28 2012 1:34 PM ET
To celebrate its 40th anniversary in print, comic strip Funky Winkerbean will include a story arc about a gay couple at Tom Batiuk's fictional Westview High School.
Batiuk's comic has featured story lines on other serious topics such as teen pregnancy, suicide, cancer, alcoholism and other issues, according to the Huffington Post. But Batiuk was compelled to write about gay teenagers after sitting in on classes at his old high school.
"...I see how the younger generation's attitude toward gays is more open and accepting than that of their predecessors. It shows promise that this emerging generation will one day bring this cultural war to an end," he said.
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers