Classic Comic Strip Features Gay Teen Story
BY Michelle Garcia
April 28 2012 12:34 PM ET
To celebrate its 40th anniversary in print, comic strip Funky Winkerbean will include a story arc about a gay couple at Tom Batiuk's fictional Westview High School.
Batiuk's comic has featured story lines on other serious topics such as teen pregnancy, suicide, cancer, alcoholism and other issues, according to the Huffington Post. But Batiuk was compelled to write about gay teenagers after sitting in on classes at his old high school.
"...I see how the younger generation's attitude toward gays is more open and accepting than that of their predecessors. It shows promise that this emerging generation will one day bring this cultural war to an end," he said.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 9 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 1 hour 43 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 2 hours 31 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM