Classic Comic Strip Features Gay Teen Story
BY Michelle Garcia
April 28 2012 1:34 PM ET
To celebrate its 40th anniversary in print, comic strip Funky Winkerbean will include a story arc about a gay couple at Tom Batiuk's fictional Westview High School.
Batiuk's comic has featured story lines on other serious topics such as teen pregnancy, suicide, cancer, alcoholism and other issues, according to the Huffington Post. But Batiuk was compelled to write about gay teenagers after sitting in on classes at his old high school.
"...I see how the younger generation's attitude toward gays is more open and accepting than that of their predecessors. It shows promise that this emerging generation will one day bring this cultural war to an end," he said.
- Where in the World Are The Happiest Gay Men?
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- Interception: Clemson Football Coach Withdraws From Antigay Fundraiser
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- REPORT: Bisexuals Face Biphobia at Doctor's Office, LGBT Groups
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?