Classic Comic Strip Features Gay Teen Story
BY Michelle Garcia
April 28 2012 1:34 PM ET
To celebrate its 40th anniversary in print, comic strip Funky Winkerbean will include a story arc about a gay couple at Tom Batiuk's fictional Westview High School.
Batiuk's comic has featured story lines on other serious topics such as teen pregnancy, suicide, cancer, alcoholism and other issues, according to the Huffington Post. But Batiuk was compelled to write about gay teenagers after sitting in on classes at his old high school.
"...I see how the younger generation's attitude toward gays is more open and accepting than that of their predecessors. It shows promise that this emerging generation will one day bring this cultural war to an end," he said.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Philly-Area Trans Teen Commits Suicide on Train Tracks
- Capitol Hill Staffers Blocked for Antitrans Wikipedia Edits