The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2010 5:15 AM ET
Confessions by Liza Minnelli — An album of jazz standards from the veteran entertainer may not be a surprise, but the richness of Minnelli’s voice over the intimate arrangements is certainly a marvel. Accompanied by pianist Billy Stritch, Minnelli gently wrings fresh emotion out of such chestnuts as “I Got Lost in His Arms” and “This Heart of Mine.” For her ardent fans it’s the next best thing to sitting around the piano with the superstar, but it’s also Minnelli’s best studio album since 1989’s Results.
La Cage Aux Folles: New Broadway Cast Recording — Tony award-winner Douglas Hodge may not have the best voice, but his Albin in the remount of La Cage Aux Folles is a revelation, and his performance comes shining through on the cast recording. Kelsey Grammer holds his own as well and boasts a shockingly enjoyable baritone. The top-notch cast does justice to the catchy score, and as it does onstage, “The Best of Times” stands up as one of the great musical theater tunes of all time.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model