John Waters returns to put spirit in Independent Spirit Awards
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 24 2001 1:00 AM ET
Iconoclastic director John Waters, talking to Variety about his upcoming gig as host of the Independent Spirit Awards, says, Im approaching it with humor. I just hope I dont have an Elizabeth Taylor moment. His keynote address two years ago created a great deal of buzz to have him host the following year, but his directors instinct told him to pass. I said, Let em wait a year, let them miss me. While some would aim for the meretricious dignity of the larger award shows, Waters says, If we can encourage celebrities to have breakdowns at the awards, Id be happy. Maybe Im going to try and make all the nominees nervous so they have nervous breakdowns. Maybe thats my job. The event traditionally takes place the day before the Oscars, which Waters thinks makes it the hippest award show there is. We jokingly call it the alternative Oscars, and if I can be the alternative Dick Clark, thats fine. The event will be broadcast over the Independent Film Channel Web site, IFCTV.com.
- Where in the World Are The Happiest Gay Men?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Clemson Football Coach Withdraws From Antigay Fundraiser
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun