Miramax to distribute French comedy The Closet
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 13 2001 12:00 AM ET
Miramax Films will reportedly acquire the U.S. and Canadian distribution rights for the popular French comedy Le Placard (The Closet), according to The Hollywood Reporter. The film is written and directed by Francis Veber, who is also responsible for the screenplays for La Cage aux Folles and La Cage aux Folles II. The plot concerns a straight accountant in a condom factoryplayed by Daniel Auteuilwho begins a rumor that he is gay in the hope that the boss will keep him on rather than fire him and risk a discrimination suit. Gerard Depardieu plays the part of a homophobic man who is forced to befriend the accountant in order to keep his own job. The film, which was released in France last January, has proved to be a box office success there, grossing more than $26 million to date.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Texas B&B Boots Gay Couple, Gets Banned From Airbnb
- Op-ed: The Dire State of Louisiana LGBTs
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Miss Fame: I've Yet to Leave My 'Beauty Mark'
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date