Miramax to distribute French comedy The Closet
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 13 2001 12:00 AM ET
Miramax Films will reportedly acquire the U.S. and Canadian distribution rights for the popular French comedy Le Placard (The Closet), according to The Hollywood Reporter. The film is written and directed by Francis Veber, who is also responsible for the screenplays for La Cage aux Folles and La Cage aux Folles II. The plot concerns a straight accountant in a condom factoryplayed by Daniel Auteuilwho begins a rumor that he is gay in the hope that the boss will keep him on rather than fire him and risk a discrimination suit. Gerard Depardieu plays the part of a homophobic man who is forced to befriend the accountant in order to keep his own job. The film, which was released in France last January, has proved to be a box office success there, grossing more than $26 million to date.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- WATCH: StoryCorps Founder Discuss Gay Dad in Inspiring TED Talk
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People