Miramax to distribute French comedy The Closet
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 12 2001 11:00 PM ET
Miramax Films will reportedly acquire the U.S. and Canadian distribution rights for the popular French comedy Le Placard (The Closet), according to The Hollywood Reporter. The film is written and directed by Francis Veber, who is also responsible for the screenplays for La Cage aux Folles and La Cage aux Folles II. The plot concerns a straight accountant in a condom factoryplayed by Daniel Auteuilwho begins a rumor that he is gay in the hope that the boss will keep him on rather than fire him and risk a discrimination suit. Gerard Depardieu plays the part of a homophobic man who is forced to befriend the accountant in order to keep his own job. The film, which was released in France last January, has proved to be a box office success there, grossing more than $26 million to date.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'