Ellen DeGeneres applauds gay films
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 26 2001 12:00 AM ET
In an interview with TV Guide Online at a garden party benefit for Outfest, the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Ellen DeGeneres spoke of the importance of films with gay characters or themes. I think its important to have more gay films available, especially to our youth, so that they see theres other people out there like them. She elaborated, Its not all tragic and depressing. Unfortunately, we just focus on how hard it is and the suicide and the hate crimes, but there are a lot of love stories, and that should be portrayed in the media. If I can bring awareness to that and ask for people to shell out a few more dollars, thats why Im here, basically. DeGeneres was attending the function as a special guest of the festival or, as she put it, the designated lesbian.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People