Ellen DeGeneres applauds gay films
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 26 2001 12:00 AM ET
In an interview with TV Guide Online at a garden party benefit for Outfest, the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Ellen DeGeneres spoke of the importance of films with gay characters or themes. I think its important to have more gay films available, especially to our youth, so that they see theres other people out there like them. She elaborated, Its not all tragic and depressing. Unfortunately, we just focus on how hard it is and the suicide and the hate crimes, but there are a lot of love stories, and that should be portrayed in the media. If I can bring awareness to that and ask for people to shell out a few more dollars, thats why Im here, basically. DeGeneres was attending the function as a special guest of the festival or, as she put it, the designated lesbian.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- WATCH: Kim Kardashian Says Family in Therapy, Totally Supportive