The Laramie Project to open Sundance 2002
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 29 2001 12:00 AM ET
Variety reports that the HBO production of The Laramie Project will be the opening-night film of the 2002 Sundance Film Festival. Moisés Kaufman makes his film directing debut, adapting the acclaimed play he created with the Tectonic Theater Project about the aftermath of the brutal murder of Matthew Shepard and its impact on the town of Laramie, Wyo. The all-star cast includes Christina Ricci, Laura Linney, Jeremy Davies, Steve Buscemi, Janeane Garofalo, and Camryn Manheim.
Other films of GLBT interest on the Sundance lineup that were announced Tuesday include The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys, produced by lesbian icon Jodie Foster, which was scheduled to debut at Sundance 2001 but was withdrawn when the animated sequences (by Spawn creator Todd McFarland) couldn't be completed in time; the new film from gay director Gus Van Sant, Gerry, starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck; The Good Girl, a new film from collaborators Miguel Arteta and Mike White (Chuck and Buck); the thriller One Hour Photo, produced by Christine Vachon's Killer Films; Lan Yu, director Stanley Kwan's portrait of a Beijing businessman in the late 1980s who has an affair with an ambitious country boy; and the documentary Britney Baby--One More Time, in which struggling filmmaker Ludi Boeken's anticipated exclusive interview with Britney Spears mutates into a wild road trip with transvestite Britney look-alike Robert Stephens.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 28 min 54 sec ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 29 min 18 sec ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM