The Laramie Project to open Sundance 2002
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 29 2001 1:00 AM ET
Variety reports that the HBO production of The Laramie Project will be the opening-night film of the 2002 Sundance Film Festival. Moisés Kaufman makes his film directing debut, adapting the acclaimed play he created with the Tectonic Theater Project about the aftermath of the brutal murder of Matthew Shepard and its impact on the town of Laramie, Wyo. The all-star cast includes Christina Ricci, Laura Linney, Jeremy Davies, Steve Buscemi, Janeane Garofalo, and Camryn Manheim.
Other films of GLBT interest on the Sundance lineup that were announced Tuesday include The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys, produced by lesbian icon Jodie Foster, which was scheduled to debut at Sundance 2001 but was withdrawn when the animated sequences (by Spawn creator Todd McFarland) couldn't be completed in time; the new film from gay director Gus Van Sant, Gerry, starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck; The Good Girl, a new film from collaborators Miguel Arteta and Mike White (Chuck and Buck); the thriller One Hour Photo, produced by Christine Vachon's Killer Films; Lan Yu, director Stanley Kwan's portrait of a Beijing businessman in the late 1980s who has an affair with an ambitious country boy; and the documentary Britney Baby--One More Time, in which struggling filmmaker Ludi Boeken's anticipated exclusive interview with Britney Spears mutates into a wild road trip with transvestite Britney look-alike Robert Stephens.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 26 min 28 sec ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 30 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM