Stephen Gately splits with boyfriend
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 10 2002 1:00 AM ET
The [London] Mirror reports that out Irish pop singer Stephen Gately has broken up with his lover, Eloy de Jong, after nearly three years together. The couple has put their Amsterdam house up for sale, and Gately, 25, has returned to Dublin to live with his sister. Both men were members of boy bands--Gately came out while still a member of Boyzone, and De Jong sang with Caught in the Act--and it is thought that the public spotlight on them and their relationship led to the split. A source close to Gately said, "They are still good friends but have gone their separate ways now. Things had become strained between them, and there was always a lot of pressure in their relationship because of the fame. They have had almost three happy years together, but they have been in the public gaze all the time."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- Right-Wing Ad: Marriage Equality Will Cause Freedom's 'Extinction'
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'