Stephen Gately splits with boyfriend
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 10 2002 1:00 AM ET
The [London] Mirror reports that out Irish pop singer Stephen Gately has broken up with his lover, Eloy de Jong, after nearly three years together. The couple has put their Amsterdam house up for sale, and Gately, 25, has returned to Dublin to live with his sister. Both men were members of boy bands--Gately came out while still a member of Boyzone, and De Jong sang with Caught in the Act--and it is thought that the public spotlight on them and their relationship led to the split. A source close to Gately said, "They are still good friends but have gone their separate ways now. Things had become strained between them, and there was always a lot of pressure in their relationship because of the fame. They have had almost three happy years together, but they have been in the public gaze all the time."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 36 min 53 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 41 min 16 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 37 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM